During the new year sales of 2018 I have finally upgraded my computer and replaced the good old i7-4930k with an AMD Threadripper 1950X beast. For the new processor I have got Gigabyte Aorus Pro x399 motherboard and 2 packs or 4 sticks of G.SKILL DDR4-3000 16 GB memory modules for total of 64 GB of system memory. Everything was bought from NewEgg.com.
- AMD 1st Gen RYZEN Threadripper 1950X 16-Core / 32 Threads 3.4 GHz Socket sTR4 180W YD195XA8AEWOF Desktop Processor.
- GIGABYTE X399 AORUS PRO sTR4 AMD X399 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard.
- G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C16D-32GTZR.
AMD Ryzen processors require fast speed low latency RAM for the best performance, while the first generation CPUs such as Ryzen 7 1700X or mine Threadripper 1950X are known for the bad memory compatibility.
Unfortunately, I am not able to afford those overpriced Samsung B-Die memory modules "designed for AMD Ryzen" such as entire range of G.SKILL Flare X for AMD Ryzen, thus I had to settle down with something reasonably priced, and hope that it's going to work at the advertised speeds.
At the moment of purchase the G.SKILL
F4-3000C16D-32GTZR was not listed in any official qualifying list for x399 motherboards, but I decided to go for the risk.
Gigabyte Aorus Pro x399
So far the motherboard is new, and I was not able to find detailed reviews, only an announcement here - Gigabyte has announced a motherboard X399 Aorus Pro.
There are plenty of motherboard pictures online and I don't feel like I should add more on my own, but here are a few things I would like to mention about it.
- The motherboard is new, it supports all AMD Threadripper CPUs out of the box, without BIOS update.
- The Gigabyte Aorus Pro x399 is an "entry level" x399 motherboard, and even though it officially supports the Threadripper 2970WX / 2990WX monsters, it would probably have very limited overclocking potential.
- For some reason the BCLK frequency is not adjustable in the BIOS.
- I really miss the Memory Try It feature from the MSI boards, it is very handy when trying to overclock memory above it's specification.
- Overall, I think, this board presents very high value for it's price at just about 250€ it has everything what might be needed and more.
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
This CPU is just a beast, with it's 16 cores and 32 threads, I finally have enough power to run multiple virtual machines, compile complex projects, render videos, manipulate huge databases and don't get mad of how slow the PC is.
My particular Threadripper 1950X sample was able to boot and even run a few tests at 4.2 GHz, but due to my limited cooling solution and extreme voltage, I had to pull it back to 4.125 GHz at 1.415 volts.
Initially I was using my very old Corsair Hydro Series H110, but it was not enough to cool down the overclocked 1950X, and the old fans started to sound like a helicopter, thus I replaced it with a Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3 and added an extra Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120MM fan.
Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3: Legendary Cooling Comes to Threadripper - tom's HARDWARE review.
G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3000C16D-32GTZR
I was able to get the memory working stable at the advertised speeds by manually entering
DDR4-2933 instead of
DDR4-3000. AMD Ryzen CPUs are known to don't like the
DDR4-3000 RAM speed. The memory timing settings were left on
Auto and used the XMP profile of
- This RAM is getting hot during usage.
- Anything higher than
DDR4-2933didn't boot with any timings.
- Non of the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen settings were able to boot either.
CL14is able to boot, but after a while, when the RAM overheats, computer crashes, and has to cool down in order to boot up again.
- To make
CL16-18-18-38-56completely stable, I had to increase the RAM voltage to 1.36 volts, and CPU SOC voltage to 1.2 volts.
Complete setup of my computer
CPU-Z validation: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X @ 4115.18 MHz.
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X @ 4.125 GHz.
- Noctua NH-U12S TR4-SP3.
- Gigabyte Aorus Pro x399.
- 4 x 16 GB G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3000C16D-32GTZR DDR4-2933 CL16.
- SAPPHIRE Radeon™ RX Vega64.
- Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB.